USS Invincible -- Bravo Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the USS Invincible, a newly commissioned Excelsior class refit under the command of Captain Matthew Archenon. The Invincible is a detachment of Bravo Fleet's Task Force 38. This is it's official forum for role-playing and socializing.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Excelsior Refit Mesh

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
John Waterhouse
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Medical Officer
John Waterhouse

Excelsior Refit Mesh Empty
PostSubject: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 2:01 am

I recently came across a blender mesh for the Enterprise B by a chap called Martin Shaw. I've DL'd it and I've been playing around - however if you think it's worth while I could probably get into changing the decals and so on to USS Invincible - I'll drop the guy a line. This would then let me render new images of our good ship as we wanted them rather than having to hunt up screens or renders of the Ent-B on the web and pretend - also the ships current banner doesn't show a refit, it's a standard Excelsior, does this matter?

I'm kinda just messing about with graphics for the fun of it and don't claim to be an expert (or indeed any good) - The Boss caught me over at RSB messing about with character avatars so I thought I'd fess up and offer.
Back to top Go down
Matthew Archenon
Captain
Captain
Matthew Archenon

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 3:18 am

Sounds good to me. You're open to do anything you want with the mesh you've got.

Not sure exactly on the banner. That's what TF Command gave us and I'm not sure if we can change it / modify it. We could just put up a new banner, though, if anyone would make one for the ship. I'm terrible at graphics or I probably would have.

I saw some of your work at RSB, very nice!
Back to top Go down
https://invincible.canadian-forum.com
Jeffery Cousland
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Jeffery Cousland

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 6:24 am

On a purely technical point, would be nice to get the actual Excelsior Refit on there. I had originally thought the Invincible to be a standard Excelsior when I first applied.
Back to top Go down
Matthew Archenon
Captain
Captain
Matthew Archenon

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 10:55 pm

What difference(s) are there that made you both notice? I can't tell them apart, to be quite honest.
Back to top Go down
Jeffery Cousland
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Jeffery Cousland

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 11:06 pm

Excelsior Refit Mesh EXCELSIOR
Profile of them together.

Excelsior Refit Mesh Excel-asteroids

There's the original Excelsior.

Excelsior Refit Mesh ExcelsiorRefitBS

There's the Excelsior refit. Or sometimes referred to as the Lakota variant.

The Excelsior variant has some fins on the primary hull, as well as some fins on the warp nacelles. Plus, there's the addition of two impulse vents positioned on either side of the original impulse engines that the Excelsior has. Otherwise they both have mostly the same starship silhouette. Actual benefits over the original Excelsior had something to do with being a sturdier warship or some such.

As for what Bravo Fleet has to say about it:
Here's a bfinfobase link
Back to top Go down
Matthew Archenon
Captain
Captain
Matthew Archenon

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 3:10 am

Interesting... I will keep that in mind for the future. You guys have sharp eyes!
Back to top Go down
John Waterhouse
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Medical Officer
John Waterhouse

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 3:46 am

As far as I understand it IRL was cos they needed to blow a hole in the hull for Generations (for Kirk to fall out) and didn't want to damage the Excelsior prop. So they added the bulge on the engineering hull that they could then smash up and remove later. However it would have been really obvious if they had only done that, so they added a couple of impulse engines on the back of the saucer and some other little changes to cover it. And 'Lo a new class was born!

The other irritating bit of model trivia is that there are far too few Ambassador class ships on screen compared to Excelsiors cos they dropped the freaking model.... realistically if you think about it Excelsior should have faded out - some if not most of the Excelsiors seen in TNG and DS9 really ought to be Ambassadors or Nebulas, but they have a nice model for Excelsior and not for the others so when it comes to filming time.....
Back to top Go down
Matthew Archenon
Captain
Captain
Matthew Archenon

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 4:03 am

I hear ya both. It's not likely we'll get issued another banner but I'll inquire about it.
Back to top Go down
Jeffery Cousland
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Jeffery Cousland

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 5:15 am

It broke my heart when I found out about them dropping the Ambassador model. Really like that ship too, Excelsior being my favorite.
Back to top Go down
John Waterhouse
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Medical Officer
John Waterhouse

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 5:25 am

Bugger me side ways this blender lark is hard! Bedtime!
Back to top Go down
Joshua Seetar
Chief Engineering Officer
Joshua Seetar

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 6:56 pm

I'd noticed that too but it shouldn't be a huge deal.

Excited to see what you do with the mesh, if you choose to work with it, John.
Back to top Go down
John Waterhouse
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Medical Officer
John Waterhouse

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 10:22 pm

OK... so after learning a bit about Blender here is a first pass.

I repeat I did not make the mesh I've just been altering the name, however even that was tricky - I never realised how hard it was to map text onto a 3d surface!

I'm however gaining confidence in blender so I'm willing to do more cosmetic alterations as we go, Also I'm learning about lighting and rendering - a topic I haven't covered since High School - so hopefully images should improve over time, that all said...

https://i.servimg.com/u/f60/15/90/49/38/stars10.jpg

if I got this image hosting thing right.

Excelsior Refit Mesh Stars10
Back to top Go down
Matthew Archenon
Captain
Captain
Matthew Archenon

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 11:37 pm

Wow, that looks GREAT!
Back to top Go down
Jeffery Cousland
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Jeffery Cousland

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 11:55 pm

That's not bad.

Now make it do flips and stuff

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matthew Archenon
Captain
Captain
Matthew Archenon

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 3:59 am

I'd like to see a cirque de soleil esque act from it.
Back to top Go down
Somers
Marine CO
Marine CO
Somers

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 4:24 pm

One word is all I have for that!

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET
Back to top Go down
http://z8.invisionfree.com/MySiggyForum/index.php
John Waterhouse
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Medical Officer
John Waterhouse

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 7:13 pm

So next task is learning how to animate so I can make her spin... Anyone got a good source for a back ground borg cube soI can try making a mission picture?
Back to top Go down
Joshua Seetar
Joshua Seetar

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 7:00 pm

I'll get looking and report back if I find anything.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excelsior Refit Mesh   Excelsior Refit Mesh Empty

Back to top Go down

Excelsior Refit Mesh
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
USS Invincible -- Bravo Fleet :: Out of Character :: Graphics Department-
Jump to: