USS Invincible -- Bravo Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the USS Invincible, a newly commissioned Excelsior class refit under the command of Captain Matthew Archenon. The Invincible is a detachment of Bravo Fleet's Task Force 38. This is it's official forum for role-playing and socializing.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

@ Darco - while the runabout returns

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
John Waterhouse
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Medical Officer
John Waterhouse

@ Darco - while the runabout returns Empty
PostSubject: @ Darco - while the runabout returns   @ Darco - while the runabout returns EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 8:46 pm

Runabout - During the return flight

"Doctor... Every life is precious, those of us with fire and battle in their blood feel just as passionately for every life, and when we get back to the ship, we shall warn the afterlife that warriors are on their way to the afterlife and to beware their honor and bravery. It is easy to mistake fervor in battle for a lack of respect for life... The only way to honor the death of comrades in battle is to be victors, to survive, to bring their deaths honor in the battle of life."

He turned back to his console and said final words... "Life and death... You can't stop people from dieing but you can hope for honor in life to bring meaning to the death of those ones you are closest to."

The human doctor dropped wearily into the seat next to him, "These men didn't die for a glorious or worthy cause, they died in the ambush of a scouting mission. I fail to see the glory or honour in being cut down because we didn't see it coming." He glanced around aware that his words were close to insulting, his insecurities returning. Seeking a genuine answer he continued, "Not to say that we could have known; but it's so pointless, and yet you seem to revel in this dicing with death."

(tag Darco))
Back to top Go down
Darco
Chief Flight Control Officer
Darco

PostSubject: Re: @ Darco - while the runabout returns   @ Darco - while the runabout returns EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 12:42 am

Darco smiled a bit... The doctor had an entirely human point, they never did (and likely never would) see death the same way he and his people did.

"You are right, it is pointless... Pointless to scout for no reason... Pointless to die for no reason... Glory isn't in the task at hand, even a warrior sent on a mission of evil can die a warriors death, especially if they were just doing their duty..."

Darco paused for a moment to compose himself.

"Say I send you into battle for a bad cause, say you die and there was no call for it. You can still die with honor, you can still die with glory. If you fight honorably, if you earn glory by going above and beyond your duty in the battle. You may die with honor and glory but the fact that you are dead for a useless cause dishonors me. Because I sent you when no one needed to die that day."

He paused again before making his point, "They were cut down but they fought for each other, they defended each other. We bring them honor by serving in their stead in the future, by remembering their honor in hopes that the next time people are sent into danger we don't allow the same mistake to happen again. You brought honor to their death by saving as many as you could. I brought honor to their death by flying in so you could save as many as you could. You see... Honor and glory are not about the end of life, the destination all of our hearts are bound to reach some day. Honor and glory are about the journey we take there. For some of our noble comrades, they reached their destination today. That cannot be changed, we can only react by bringing honor to their memories and honoring their sacrifice by making their deaths mean something for us."
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/titanshadow
John Waterhouse
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Medical Officer
John Waterhouse

PostSubject: Re: @ Darco - while the runabout returns   @ Darco - while the runabout returns EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 1:47 am

Runabout - During the return flight

"Doctor... Every life is precious, those of us with fire and battle in their blood feel just as passionately for every life, and when we get back to the ship, we shall warn the afterlife that warriors are on their way to the afterlife and to beware their honor and bravery. It is easy to mistake fervor in battle for a lack of respect for life... The only way to honor the death of comrades in battle is to be victors, to survive, to bring their deaths honor in the battle of life."

He turned back to his console and said final words... "Life and death... You can't stop people from dieing but you can hope for honor in life to bring meaning to the death of those ones you are closest to."

The human doctor dropped wearily into the seat next to him, "These men didn't die for a glorious or worthy cause, they died in the ambush of a scouting mission. I fail to see the glory or honour in being cut down because we didn't see it coming." He glanced around aware that his words were close to insulting, his insecurities returning. Seeking a genuine answer he continued, "Not to say that we could have known; but it's so pointless, and yet you seem to revel in this dicing with death."

Darco smiled a bit... The doctor had an entirely human point, they never did (and likely never would) see death the same way he and his people did.

"You are right, it is pointless... Pointless to scout for no reason... Pointless to die for no reason... Glory isn't in the task at hand, even a warrior sent on a mission of evil can die a warriors death, especially if they were just doing their duty..."

Darco paused for a moment to compose himself. As he did so Waterhouse ran his hand through his hair, 'just doing their duty.' he mused

"Say I send you into battle for a bad cause, say you die and there was no call for it. You can still die with honor, you can still die with glory. If you fight honorably, if you earn glory by going above and beyond your duty in the battle. You may die with honor and glory but the fact that you are dead for a useless cause dishonors me. Because I sent you when no one needed to die that day." continued Darco.

He paused again before making his point, "They were cut down but they fought for each other, they defended each other. We bring them honor by serving in their stead in the future, by remembering their honor in hopes that the next time people are sent into danger we don't allow the same mistake to happen again. You brought honor to their death by saving as many as you could. I brought honor to their death by flying in so you could save as many as you could. You see... Honor and glory are not about the end of life, the destination all of our hearts are bound to reach some day. Honor and glory are about the journey we take there. For some of our noble comrades, they reached their destination today. That cannot be changed, we can only react by bringing honor to their memories and honoring their sacrifice by making their deaths mean something for us."

There was a brief silence, John reflected on the Klingon's words. "Perhaps I don't see an 'honouring of sacrifice' in the enjoyment of battle. I think I have always assumed battle, combat and violent death to be a sober and serious affair much like fighting a disease; I find the joy and pleasure which you ...warrior types... take in battle to be strange and jarring. It seems to be a need to test yourselves and to prove that you are greater and stronger than the next man. I would find nothing wrong in celebrating our own survival and in honouring the memories of those who have fallen, but your way seems tied to proving how tough and strong you all are; dying is dying and I accept that Marines and Warriors will die in battle but I think we should be respectful of that loss of life without needing to prove our own 'fire' and fetishising of combat, men who die well are still dead."

OOC - Darco dunno if you want to post this as new or edit the conversation into the post I lifted your first paragraph from? Or indeed reply here and let it run some more, btw that's the best description of warrior honour I've seen, probably ever!
Back to top Go down
Darco
Darco

PostSubject: Re: @ Darco - while the runabout returns   @ Darco - while the runabout returns EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 6:10 am

OOC - I'm happy with however you'd like to post it, doing this as a sideline is not something I'm use to in Play by Post games, so, I'll trust your judgment.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/titanshadow
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: @ Darco - while the runabout returns   @ Darco - while the runabout returns Empty

Back to top Go down

@ Darco - while the runabout returns
Page 1 of 1