USS Invincible -- Bravo Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the USS Invincible, a newly commissioned Excelsior class refit under the command of Captain Matthew Archenon. The Invincible is a detachment of Bravo Fleet's Task Force 38. This is it's official forum for role-playing and socializing.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Table Talk - (Darco and Waterhouse)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
John Waterhouse
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Medical Officer
John Waterhouse

Table Talk - (Darco and Waterhouse) Empty
PostSubject: Table Talk - (Darco and Waterhouse)   Table Talk - (Darco and Waterhouse) EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 2:26 pm

OOC:- Shifted it here to avoid cluttering the other thread with loads of one and two line posts.

The two men settled into a table at the front of the restaurant beside a pleasantly bubbling fountain that John splashed his hand in just to see the water reflect the lighting around the room. Having first checked that all the cutlery was in place, which an old habit from his mother, he looked up at Darco. "So, we've been through a mission together, I've let you fly me through a Borg cube and yet I know next to nothing about you." he studied his companion's face before asking, "So I guess the normal then. Where'd you grow up?"
Back to top Go down
Darco
Chief Flight Control Officer
Darco

PostSubject: Re: Table Talk - (Darco and Waterhouse)   Table Talk - (Darco and Waterhouse) EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 9:50 am

((Assuming we can still go through a conversation here, it has been so long))

Darco's face was not a serious one, he had laughter in his expression, not at anything in particular but when your enture culture revolved around the knowledge that one day one could die it did give every day experiences the light of happiness at being alive. They had just been through a short but interesting battle and lived. That was reason enough to laugh at death that had stalked them and been evaded during the mission.

"I grew up on Kronos, emphasis on Martial Arts when I was young. I don't hold any titles now, but back then it was thought I might go far. How about you, I've flown you through a cube, your respect for life is admirable, I would be interested to know where you called home as a child?"
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/titanshadow
John Waterhouse
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Medical Officer
John Waterhouse

PostSubject: Re: Table Talk - (Darco and Waterhouse)   Table Talk - (Darco and Waterhouse) EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 10:46 am

((Der Boss has locked the Shoreleave Thread, but I see no reason we can't back post - you all right? been a while.))

The two men settled into a table at the front of the restaurant beside a pleasantly bubbling fountain that John splashed his hand in just to see the water reflect the lighting around the room. Having first checked that all the cutlery was in place, which an old habit from his mother, he looked up at Darco. "So, we've been through a mission together, I've let you fly me through a Borg cube and yet I know next to nothing about you." he studied his companion's face before asking, "So I guess the normal then. Where'd you grow up?"

Darco's face was not a serious one, he had laughter in his expression, not at anything in particular but when your entire culture revolved around the knowledge that one day one could die it did give every day experiences the light of happiness at being alive. They had just been through a short but interesting battle and lived. That was reason enough to laugh at death that had stalked them and been evaded during the mission.

"I grew up on Kronos, emphasis on Martial Arts when I was young. I don't hold any titles now, but back then it was thought I might go far. How about you, I've flown you through a cube, your respect for life is admirable, I would be interested to know where you called home as a child?"

"I'm a little green man," the doctor paused to sip from his glass of water, and realised that the joke might not be universal. "by which I mean I grew up on Mars. You know 'Earth's Oldest Colony' as they say. I guess focus was something I lacked growing up. Is there anything on this menu you'd enjoy?" John was suddenly aware he'd brought the warrior into a vegetation restaurant where the likelihood of live food was pretty low. "I guess I'll have this bean salad thing, linguistics isn't my strong suit however" smiling ruefully he offered the menu over to Darco. "Martial Arts sounds like you were always going to be a fighter from birth then?"
Back to top Go down
Darco
Darco

PostSubject: Re: Table Talk - (Darco and Waterhouse)   Table Talk - (Darco and Waterhouse) EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 11:32 am

Darco smiled... He had heard the reference from other humans in the past, but while he knew what it meant it made little sense to him. The doctor seemed to suddenly become uncomfortable, for being from an off-world human colony he seemed to be well steeped in stereotypes about Klingons... He found it amusing, in a positive way. Many Klingons found it very difficult to relate to Humans out of arrogance over stereotypes. The Doctor didn't seem like the type to suffer from either arrogance or ignorance once truth was revealed.

"Their Bean Salad is good. A bit bland for me, honestly what I enjoy here most is a dish they do what a combination of fruits and vegetables from all over the Alpha quadrant." The Klingon chuckled to himself, "Ah, they call it a Cosmic Sunset here, loosely translated, my Telerite isn't very good. That is what I will have, the flavors are very bold."

Pausing for a moment he continued, "Many of my people grow up with a lack of focus, the trends of child raising when I was young were aligned with the idea that a child should have no time for idleness and that fanciful dreams could wait until such energies could be properly spent on creativity in battle." He laughed lightly smiling when he was asked about being a fighter, "That was my mother, she had dreams of me being a strong warrior, defending the Empire against its foes. My father was the idealist, a Lawyer, steeped in old texts of Klingon Law. Did you know, for a Klingon there is very little difference between the studies of a Priest and those of a Lawyer... You humans call the difference, spin, I believe. The texts are spun differently for each, but few Lawyers would loose should then test their knowledge of lore with a priest."
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/titanshadow
John Waterhouse
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Medical Officer
John Waterhouse

PostSubject: Re: Table Talk - (Darco and Waterhouse)   Table Talk - (Darco and Waterhouse) EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 12:16 pm

Darco's face was not a serious one, he had laughter in his expression, not at anything in particular but when your entire culture revolved around the knowledge that one day one could die it did give every day experiences the light of happiness at being alive. They had just been through a short but interesting battle and lived. That was reason enough to laugh at death that had stalked them and been evaded during the mission.

"I'm a little green man," the doctor paused to sip from his glass of water, and realised that the joke might not be universal. "by which I mean I grew up on Mars. You know 'Earth's Oldest Colony' as they say. I guess focus was something I lacked growing up. Is there anything on this menu you'd enjoy?" John was suddenly aware he'd brought the warrior into a vegetation restaurant where the likelihood of live food was pretty low. "I guess I'll have this bean salad thing, linguistics isn't my strong suit however" smiling ruefully he offered the menu over to Darco. "Martial Arts sounds like you were always going to be a fighter from birth then?"

Darco smiled... He had heard the reference from other humans in the past, but while he knew what it meant it made little sense to him. The doctor seemed to suddenly become uncomfortable, for being from an off-world human colony he seemed to be well steeped in stereotypes about Klingons... He found it amusing, in a positive way. Many Klingons found it very difficult to relate to Humans out of arrogance over stereotypes. The Doctor didn't seem like the type to suffer from either arrogance or ignorance once truth was revealed.

"Their Bean Salad is good. A bit bland for me, honestly what I enjoy here most is a dish they do what a combination of fruits and vegetables from all over the Alpha quadrant." The Klingon chuckled to himself, "Ah, they call it a Cosmic Sunset here, loosely translated, my Telerite isn't very good. That is what I will have, the flavors are very bold."

Pausing for a moment he continued, "Many of my people grow up with a lack of focus, the trends of child raising when I was young were aligned with the idea that a child should have no time for idleness and that fanciful dreams could wait until such energies could be properly spent on creativity in battle." He laughed lightly smiling when he was asked about being a fighter, "That was my mother, she had dreams of me being a strong warrior, defending the Empire against its foes. My father was the idealist, a Lawyer, steeped in old texts of Klingon Law. Did you know, for a Klingon there is very little difference between the studies of a Priest and those of a Lawyer... You humans call the difference, spin, I believe. The texts are spun differently for each, but few Lawyers would lose should then test their knowledge of lore with a priest."

"This Cosmic Sunset sounds amazing; the wonders of interplanetary trade. I think I'll stick to bean salad however, I've got a hankering for some bacon for breakfast, it'll soak up the wine, but for now I fancy the crispness." with the order placed John returned to the conversation in hand, "I know very little about faith in general, my family are far from religious. I know about the Klingon belief system even less. However I'd agree that most lawyers in all cultures would benefit from a stronger moral grounding. After all most of Earth's laws have been formed through the lens of morals originally drawn from our many faiths. But my up bringing and experience leads me to have more faith in people than in gods. Too many natural disasters and the like. How'd you end up becoming a pilot then? If your mother was pushing you towards the KDF and your father to the old lore?" The Telerite waitress returned with their food in large earthenware bowls and John accepted his salad with a slight twinge of envy at the colourful platter being placed before Darco.

TAG
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Table Talk - (Darco and Waterhouse)   Table Talk - (Darco and Waterhouse) Empty

Back to top Go down

Table Talk - (Darco and Waterhouse)
Page 1 of 1